Occupational hygiene is the science concerned with the recognition, evaluation, monitoring, and control or elimination of environmental factors in, or arising from, the workplace that may result in injury, illness, impairment, or effect the well being of workers. Potential risks to the health of workers are created by unwanted exposures to hazardous substances used, or produced, and to such environmental workplace factors as noise and vibration, heat or cold stress, radiation or ergonomic stressors, and biological agents. Airborne hazards assume great significance since the worker must maintain constant contact with their workplace via the organ of the lung. Principally, airborne hazards arise through the inhalation of dusts, fibres, mists, fumes, gas or vapours, and the various aerosols, including those containing biohazards.
HEALTHY ENVIRONMENTS-OCCUPATIONAL HYGIENE SERVICES
Healthy Environments occupational hygienist has well over 25 years experience in the provision of occupational hygiene services in many different types of workplaces throughout New Zealand. The experienced team at Healthy Environments are well placed to assist you with all your occupational hygiene matters. Our occupational hygiene services complement the implementation of a health and safety management system and aim at achieving legislative compliance for our clients.
Healthy Environments Occupational Hygienist has well over 25 years experience in the provision of occupational hygiene services in many different types of workplaces throughout New Zealand.
Healthy Environments specialist consultants in occupational hygiene have undertaken investigations in workplaces such as off-shore drilling rigs, fishing trawlers, road and rail tunnels, fire stations, weapon firing ranges, printers, plastic manufacturers-fabricators, chemical manufactures, galvanizers, electroplaters, engineering-manufacturing, timber mills and paper manufacturers, sewage treatment plants, power stations, meat processing plants, waste recycling and disposal industries, hospitals, schools, and offices in commercial buildings. Our team are familiar with health and safety requirements and regulations, and environmental compliance for many different types of workplaces in the New Zealand economy.
Healthy Environments are actively involved in providing assessment and measurement of worker exposure to chemical, physical and biological hazards in workplace. Our services include:
– Occupational Hygiene baseline surveys
– Sampling of airborne chemicals, dust (inhalable and respirable), suspended particulate (PM2.5 and PM10), fibres (asbestos and synthetic), biological agents
– Wood dusts; metal dusts and fume; crystalline silica (quartz)
– Welding fumes and compounds
– Aldehydes (formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde, and other compounds)
– Acid and alkaline mists; isocyanates; pesticides; fumigants
– Volatile organic compounds (solvents and other compounds)
– Gases (oxygen, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, sulphur dioxide, hydrogen sulphide, ammonia, ozone methane and others)
– Combustion fumes (particulate, gases, hydrocarbons); diesel Particulate (black carbon)
– Hazardous chemicals, site risk assessment, HASNO compliance requirements
– Occupational noise surveys, noise exposure assessment (personal noise dose testing), machinery/equipment noise measurements including spectrum analysis, and advice on noise mitigation through engineering and acoustic solutions
– Heat Stress Monitoring and Assessment
– Radiation, EMFs (magnetic and electric fields)
– Vibration and Acoustics, vibration measurements and assessment, spectral analysis of background noise (offices)
– Mould Testing, Mould Assessment and Mould Removal Management
– Asbestos, surveys and risk assessment, asbestos removal (project management, visual inspection and clearance monitoring)
– Indoor Air Quality (Ventilation, air flows, contaminants, thermal environment)
– Lighting survey and assessment (industrial and commercial offices)
– Workplace Ventilation Assessment, local exhaust ventilation (design, inspection and performance tests), offices (HVAC full inspection and performance tests)
– Clean rooms and Operating Theatres – particle monitoring, pressure differentials, air changes rate, bioaerosols
– Water Quality, assessment of storage tanks and reticulation systems, contaminants (chemicals, minerals, Legionella and other biological agents)
– Identification of unknown substances (Hazard response management)
– Drugs, Assessment of Clandestine Laboratory Activity and Use in buildings (methamphetamine, cannabis and other drugs)
– Industrial Hygiene – Assessment food handling and storage practices, sanitation and hygiene assessments of amenities in buildings
Healthy Environments has worked in many different types of workplaces throughout New Zealand including: off-shore drilling rigs, fishing trawlers, road and rail tunnels, fire stations, weapons firing ranges, printers, plastic manufacturers-fabricators, chemical manufactures, galvanizers, electroplaters, engineers-manufacturing, timber mills and paper manufactures, sewage treatment plants, power stations, meat processing plants, waste recycling and disposal industries, hospitals, schools, and commercial offices.
Do you need assistance with your company’s occupational hygiene issues and compliance matters? Contact us today to discuss our services.